FSSAI registration or food registration is governed by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is regulated and governed by Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. It ensures all the food products undergo proper quality checks thereby reducing the food adulteration and sale of low-standard products. It is a body responsible for providing registration and licensing of the Food Business Operators (FBO) in India and it lays down the guidelines for running the food business in India.
Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) sets and regulate the food manufacturing, distribution, storage, sale and import process, and to ensure that safe and wholesome food is available for human consumption and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. This license is a location base license and food business owner need to get registration for every such location.
Every food business owner or entity engaged in the food business, viz. Manufacturing, Processing, Trading, Repacking, Transporting, Importer’s, Exporter’s, Wholesale, Retail, Storage, Distribution, Restaurants, Hotels, Clubs, Pubs, Stalls, Hawker, Sweet Shops, Dairy booth, Dairy Farms, Juice Stall, Tea Stall, Petty Retailer, Temporary Food Stall (Chinese food stall / Snack stall / Patshi Stall / Fruit and Vegetable vendors), etc. need to get himself either registered or licensed under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The criteria for registration or license depends upon the turnover or business activities of the organisation.
Alonika.in has a team of expert professionals and consultants providing you the best assistance with regards to FSSAI registration / FSSAI License. Contact us and get your organisation registered.
- Consumer awareness: In this age of information, the consumers have become more alert and informative about the quality of the food which they eat. With the number of diets and increasing of the healthy eating food options, people are required to know as to what they are consuming is not just safe but is of really good quality. More so after the recent controversy with Maggi or Honey, are proving the consumers have started to take the food safety standard seriously and Authorities started taking food safety more seriously now. Thus, food is proving that they have the FSSAI license, which can give you an added advantage of a solid and an increase in the customer base.
- Legal Advantage: Every food business operator (FBO) is legally required to get himself registered or licensed under FSSAI and if avoid or ignore the registration may attract the penalty and legal consequences for this. Thus FSSAI registration / FSSAI License helps in avoiding the penal and legal consequences.
- Using the FSSAI Logo: Once you have the license, you can skillfully use the FSSAI logo in your menu cards and also in the pamphlets in order to publicise your food’s superior quality over others. This, however, gives you an edge over the many food operators who are not having food license. All the packaged food are thus required to have an FSSAI number. The logo is seen as a mark of validity and also for assurance by the consumers. In fact, the selective customers want to consume food products specifically who are having the license. It helps you in developing a brand name.
- Business Expansion: When the time comes for your business to expand in other areas or outlets, you can easily do so with the use of your FSSAI license. No organization will allow to keep any product from unregistered organisation such as AMAZON, Ebay, Flipkart, Grofers, Bigbasket, D-Mart, Big Bazar, etc. The license will help you to establish your reputation and also qualification to grow your business in a new direction with ease. Moreover, the license can also make it easier for you to get bank loans and for funding which is required for expansion.
Documents required for FSSAI registration or Food License depends upon the category of license.
Following is the list of some basic documents required:
- Aadhar card of Owner / Applicant
- Pan card of Owner / Firm / Company
- Photo of Applicant / Unit
- Aadhar card of person in charge
- Academic qualification of Applicant and person in charge
- Address proof of Premises / Applicant
- Contact details (E-mail and Mobile no)
Other documents may vary case to case.
Type of FSSAI License
A. Registration: Fssai registration is required by all food business operator who does not have turnover upto 12 lakhs per annum. It includes manufacturers, selling food by himself or a petty retailer, hawker, sweets shops, juice stall or temporary/permanent stall holder, home based canteens, re-packers, dhabas, food stalls in fairs, canteens, mass, tiffin centers, home base food business, etc. or Small Business Food Industries or vendors having annual turnover of less than 12 lakhs and satisfy the following condition :
|1||Production of food capacity (other than milk and meat production)||Up to 100 kg/ltr per day|
|2||Procurement, handling and collection of milk||Up to 500 ltr per day|
|3||Slaughtering capacity||2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less|
B. State License: Following food business operators will fall under state category of license
|1||Dairy Units including Milk Chilling Units||501 – 50,000 Ltrs of Milk per day 2.5 MT – 2500 MT of Milk Solids per annum|
|2||Vegetable Oil Processing Units||0-2 MT per day|
|3||Slaughtering House||Large Animals: 3 to 50 Small Animals: 11 to 150 Poultry Birds: 51 to 1000|
|4||Meat Processing||Upto 500 Kg Meat per day or Upto 150 MT Meat per annum|
|5||All Food Manufacturing/ Processing units other than Dairy Units, Vegetable Oil, Meat Processing and Slaughtering Houses||Production Capacity: 101 Kgs/Ltrs – 1 MT per Day All Grains, Cereals, Pulses Milling units without any limit on Production Capacity.|
|6||Storage – Cold/Refrigerated||Storage Capacity Upto 10,000 MT|
|7||Storage – Atmospheric Controlled + Cold||Storage Capacity Upto 1,000 MT|
|8||Storage Without Atmospheric Controlled + Cold||Storage Capacity Upto 50,000 MT|
|9||Transporter (having a number of specialised vehicles like insulated refrigerated van/wagon, milk tankers etc.)||Upto 100 Vehicles and Turnover upto Rs. 30 Crores per annum|
|10||Wholesaler||Turnover upto Rs. 30 Crores per annum|
|11||Distributor||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|12||Supplier||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|13||Retailer||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|14||Marketer||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|15||Hotel||One Star, Two Star or Hotel without Star Rating by Ministry of Tourism Three Star and Four Star|
|16||Restaurant and Bars||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|17||Club/Canteen||Turnover More than Rs 12 Lacs per annum|
|18||Caterer||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|19||Food Vending Agencies||Upto 100 Vending Machines in only one State/UT|
|20||Dhaba, Boarding houses serving food, Banquet halls with food catering arrangements, Home Based Canteens/ Dabba Wallas, Permanent/ Temporary stall Holder, Food stalls/ Arrangements in religious gatherings/ fairs etc||Turnover more than Rs. 12 Lacs per annum|
|21||Mid day Meal Caterer||Turnover upto Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|22||Mid Day Meal Canteen||Turnover More than Rs 12 Lacs per annum|
C. Central Food License: Following food business operator will be falling under central fssai licensing:
|1||Dairy Units including Milk Chilling Units||More than 50,000 Ltrs of Milk per day More than 2500 MT of Milk Solids per annum|
|2||Vegetable Oil Processing Units||More than 2 MT per day|
|3||Slaughtering House||Large Animals: More than 50 Small Animals: More than 150 Poultry Birds: More than 1000|
|4||Meat Processing||More than 500 Kg Meat per day or More than 150 MT Meat per annum|
|5||All Food Manufacturing/ Processing units other than Dairy Units, Vegetable Oil, Meat Processing and Slaughtering Houses||Production Capacity: More than 2 MT per day. No Grains, Cereals or Pulses Milling Units|
|6||Proprietary Food, Novel Food||No restriction on production capacity|
|7||Storage – Cold/Refrigerated||Storage Capacity of More than 10,000 MT|
|8||Storage – Atmospheric Controlled + Cold||Storage Capacity of More than 1,000 MT|
|9||Storage Without Atmospheric Controlled + Cold||Storage Capacity of More than 50,000 MT|
|10||Transporter (having a number of specialised vehicles like insulated refrigerated van/wagon, milk tankers etc.)||More than 100 Vehicles and Turnover more than Rs. 30 Crores per annum|
|11||Wholesaler||Turnover more than Rs. 30 Crores per annum|
|12||Distributor||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|13||Supplier||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|14||Retailer||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|15||Marketer||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|16||Hotel||Five Star and Above|
|17||Restaurant and Bars||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|18||Caterer||Turnover more than Rs. 20 Crores per annum|
|19||Food Vending Agencies||More than 100 Vending Machines and/or located in two or more States/UTs|
|20||Importers/Exporters||Importing/Exporting any type of food product with no limit on the capacity|
|21||Mid day Meal Caterer||Turnover More than Rs 20 Crores per annum|
|22||Mid Day Meal Canteen||Turnover More than Rs 12 Lacs per annum|
|23||E-Commerce||No limit on Capacity or Turnover|
- Fssai registration starts from 1100/-
- Fssai state license starts from 5000/-
- Fssai central license starts from 10000/