The occupational health in industries is very important topic that must be addressed efficiently by the industries to ensure that they provide a safe and healthy working environment to the employs. It is essential that the employs have complete peace of mind when they are working for the company so that they could deliver the best efficiency and performance. The occupational health and safety is a major factor that affects the efficiency of the workers to a great extent. In order to ensure the provision of the best occupational health and safety, the companies need to have OHSAS 18001:2007 certification. The certification is used for recognizing the areas in the companies that must be managed to ensure that the employees are given the safest working environment. The OHSAS 18001:2007 certificate is very helpful for the companies in providing an effective framework that helps in maintaining the best level of occupation health and safety at the workplace. With the help of the system prescribed in the standard, the companies can easily ensure an effective management of the risks that are involved in eth occupational safety in an efficient manner.
The best benefit of having OHSAS 18001:2007 accreditation that it helps in reduction of the risks related to health and safety related to the various tasks and works in the companies. When a company have this certification, it shows that the company management is committed to provide the best level of safety to its employees and takes best care of their health. Fulfilling the OHSAS 18001:2007 certification requirements includes the assessment the possible risks involved in the working in the company premises. The certification is not only beneficial for the workers of the company but it also provides benefits to the workers who come to the company from outside on contract basis.
Managing occupational health and safety in the workplace brings numerous benefits to all kinds and sizes of organizations. Some of these are:
It guides organizations in their pursue of “zero accidents”.
- OHSAS 18001 provides a system to identify and effectively manage occupational health and safety hazards in order to minimize health and safety risk.
- It provides tools and techniques to identify potential causes of accidents and helps organizations improve employee awareness of risks.
- Incident and accident rates are reduced as a consequence of better control of work-related risks and an improved performance monitoring.
- Improves the incident investigation process.
Ensures organizations comply with legal requirements.
- In order for organizations to establish and maintain their OHSMS, they must take into account applicable legal requirements.
- Ensures organizations commit to comply and communicate all relevant legal information to employees and interested parties.
Improves an organization’s image.
- OHSAS 18001 drives organizations to set occupational health and safety as a priority, ensuring that appropriate measures are taken to protect staff, employees and everyone associated with their activities.
- The adoption of international best practice in relation to risk management can improve an organization’s image and credibility among stakeholders, regulators, customers, prospective clients and the public in general.
- An improved reputation can give organizations a competitive advantage by providing a safe environment to do business.
Improves the workplace environment.
- Implementing this standard will show employees that an organization is committed to keeping them safe, therefore improving employee motivation, retention and satisfaction.
- OHSAS 18001 can help organizations put in place clear procedures to decrease absenteeism.
- Improvement of communication and training will bring greater involvement and commitment from everyone.
Helps organizations save money.
- Implementing OHSAS 18001 reduces the likelihood of fines and prosecutions.
- By reducing accident and incident rates and work-related illnesses, it also reduces all the costs associated with them (costly medical claims, lost working days, time and money spent on investigation and paperwork).
- This standard is recognized by insurers which can bring a decrease in insurance premiums.
Documents required for ISO 18001
- Incorporation Certificate of Organisation or GST Registration certificate
- Scope of working
- Copy of Invoices for any purchase or sale
- Contact Details of owner
- Any other document as required time to time.
Steps for ISO 18001 Registrations
- Making an application to an accredited ISO certification body
- Providing the required documents
- Defining the certification scope
- Initial assessment to verify that the basic structure of the management system is implemented.
- Certification audit
- Surveillance audits-it includes the verification of continuous improvement, closure of nonconformities from previous audits, conformance to the standards etc.
- Re-certification after three years