The main role of the Department of Legal Metrology is to maintain the integrity and authenticity by checking weights and measures and weighing and measuring instruments prevalent in the trade and commerce in the state at regular intervals. Thus the consumer interest is to be protected by establishing quantitative purity in business dealings.
Also, ensuring standard declarations and other provisions in accordance with the Legal Metrology Boxed Items Act 2011 on the package label in relation to the items kept in the package is also a major objective of the department.
Legal Metrology registration also known as LMRC is one of the mandatory registration for every person natural or legal having any weight or measure in his possession, custody or control in circumstances indicating that such weight or measure is being, or is intended or is likely to be, used by him in any transaction (weighing or measuring or packing or for protection, shall, before putting such weight or measure into such use, have such weight or measure verified and registered. Non-registration attracts the penalties which can be in terms of Fine for the first offense, and for any subsequent offence or failure with fine or imprisonment or both. Alonika.in has a team of expert professionals and consultants providing you the best assistance with regards to Legal Metrology registration (LMRC). Contact us and get your organisation registered.
Applicability The Legal Metrology registration is must for
- Manufacturers of any weighing & measuring instruments
- Dealers and repairers of weights & measures for dealing in weighing & measuring instruments
- Packers (Any person or a firm, which pre-packs any commodity whether in a bottle, tin, wrapper or otherwise in units suitable for sale, viz. Shampoo, Cream, Soap, Food products, Chips, etc.)
- Any person selling any product using any weighing machine or measurement instrument, viz. retail merchants, grocery stores, Kirana or Ration Shops, petroleum pumps, fabric retailers, etc.
Benefits of Legal Metrology Act Registration
- Reduces Cost and Time: Poor measurement practice proves costly they affect both the businesses and consumers. In fact initiating legal action against a trader who shows the audacity of breaking the measurement laws is also high priced. But when measurements are done accurately and correctly following all the norms of Legal Metrology Act it certainly result in reduction of cost and time.
- Supporting Trade: Legal Metrology Act is responsible to control any unlawful and unfair trade practices. The purpose of this act is to make sure that measuring instruments are intact and in working state so that they can serve their intend purpose and meet international standards and allows to enlarge the business size and market share.
- Reduces Technical Barriers To Trade: Legal Metrology Act reduces the burden of technical barriers and promotes confidence and clarity of measurement. Fewer amounts of barriers increase the morale of the nation and encourage them to participate in the global trading system which in result increases the national economic growth. With the help of Legal Metrology Act a trader can avoid useless barriers in the process of adoption, application of technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures.
- Build Consumer’s Trust: As soon as the customer realise they are receiving a product verified under certain rules and regulations it will boost their trust in the businessman which ultimately leads to healthy trading relationship.
Documents required for registration
List Of Documents That Manufacturer Need:
- Photographs, Identity and Address proof of the applicant/partners/directors.
- Proof of the Date of Birth of applicant/partners/directors.
- Ownership or tenancy document of the proposed premises.
- Location map
- Incorporation Certificate (MOA & AOA)/LLP Deed/Partnership deed
- Model approval certificate, issued by the Director, Legal Metrology, Government of India, if required under Legal Metrology General Rules, 2011 with respect to the proposed weighing and measuring instrument.
- No objection Certificate from pollution control Board
- List of machinery and tools.
- Affidavit to state that applicant would adhere to the Legal provisions and the directions issued by the Controller.
- Affidavit to state that applicant had neither been punished by any Court nor is any criminal proceeding pending in any court.
- Registration document of factory/shop/establishment/municipal trade license, as the case maybe
- Copy of GST Registration
- Copy of PAN
List of Documents for Repairer of Weights and Measures:
- Identity proof.
- Two Passport size
- Certificate of Registration of Industry
- NOC from Competent Authority.
- Document proof of Ownership / Lease Agreement of Premises.
- Constitution in case of proprietorship / partnership firm. Registered document in case of Company register Certificate under Companies Act along with copy of Article of Association and Memorandum of Association.
- Employee Copies of Appointment Letters with photographs, Qualification and Experience Certificate, if any;
- Machineries, Tools and Accessories list with purchase bill.
- Test weights purchase bill in case of new Verification Certificate.
- GST Registration Certificate (If available).
- Professional Tax Registration Certificate (If applicable)
- Valid Labour Licence (Shop Act registration).
License for Dealer in Weights and Measures:
- Identity & Residential Proof.
- Two Passport size.
- Letter of Consent from the Manufacturer who wish to appoint you as a Dealer
- Manufacturing Licence if you intend to import weights & measures from outside the State.
- Model Approval Certificate of weights and measures to be deal with.
- Documentary proof of ownership / Lease agreement of Premises.
- GST Registration / Professional Tax / Labour Licence