The food safety is one of the most primary concerns for the companies that are conducting the manufacturing, processing and handling of the food products. The companies need to ensure that they maintain the best level of food safety and hygiene so that they could ensure that the consumers are delivered the best quality of products. The ISO 22000:2005 certification is a mandatory certification or food processing and manufacturing companies that help in easy monitoring the quality of the products. The standard is used for implementation of a food safety management system that is efficient enough to provide the best quality to the products. The standard is designed to provide an efficient food safety management system that helps the manufacturers on ensuring the implementation of best manufacturing and quality assurance processes. When the ISO 22000:2005 certificate is granted to a company then it means that the products offered by the company are of best level of quality and are safe for the human consumptions.
Following are the key elements of ISO 22000
- Involvement of the management team: It’s not about only the Food Safety handling by the quality department rather it is a top management issue. This ISO 22000 focuses on the involvement of the management team, which has to develop overall policy.
- Communication: because food safety hazards may be introduced at any stage of the food chain so interactive communication both upstream and downstream is essential. In addition, internal communication is a key element of avoiding misunderstandings and minimizing risks. A common vocabulary can be a vital and great help in this connection.
- The HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point) principles: ISO 22000 combines the recognization of HACCP principles with prerequisite programmes. The hazard analysis overall determines a strong strategy and the prerequisite programmes set up an action plan.
- System management: ISO 22000 always relies on a structured management system based on relevant parts of ISO 9001. And it is possible to integrate them into one management system together with ISO 14001.
requirements of ISO 22000
All that ISO 22000 need is you build a Food Safety Management system. This concluded that you have a documented system in place and fully implemented throughout your facility that includes:
- Effective and efficient Pre-requisite Programs in place to ensure a clean sanitary environment is relevant.
- A hazard analysis and the Critical control plan developed to identify, side by side prevent and eliminate food safety hazards,
- Established documented food safety management system processes to manage food safety throughout your organization – from management and business planning aspects to day to day communication and operations affecting food safety.
Benefits of having ISO 22000 are as follows
- Increase the profits
- Control and eliminate food safety risks
- Continually improve the processes needed to provide safe food
- Built customer’s confidence on your ability to control any food safety hazards
- Ensure sustainable food safety
- Promote international trade
Documents required for ISO 22000
- Incorporation Certificate of Organisation or GST Registration certificate
- Scope of working
- Copy of Invoices for any purchase or sale
- Contact Details of owner
- Any other document as required time to time.
Following are the process of ISO 22000 Certification:
- Making an application to an accredited ISO certification body
- Defining the certification scope
- Initial assessment to verify that the basic structure of the management system is implemented.
- Certification audit
- Surveillance audits-it includes the verification of continuous improvement, closure of nonconformities from previous audits, conformance to the standards etc.
- Re-certification after three years