Copyright is a right given by the law to creators of literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works and producers of cinematograph films and sound recordings. In fact, it is a bundle of rights including, inter alia, rights of reproduction, communication to the public, adaptation and translation of the work. There could be slight variations in the composition of the rights depending on the work.
Copyright ensures certain minimum safeguards of the rights of authors over their creations, thereby protecting and rewarding creativity. Creativity being the keystone of progress, no civilized society can afford to ignore the basic requirement of encouraging the same. Economic and social development of a society is dependent on creativity. The protection provided by copyright to the efforts of writers, artists, designers, dramatists, musicians, architects and producers of sound recordings, cinematograph films and computer software, creates an atmosphere conducive to creativity, which induces them to create more and motivates others to create.
The Copyright Act, 1957 protects original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works and cinematograph films and sound recordings from unauthorized uses. Unlike the case with patents, copyright protects the expressions and not the ideas. There is no copyright protection for ideas, procedures, and methods of operation or mathematical concept.
Copyright comes into existence as soon as a work is created and no formality is required, even filing for copyright is also not required. However, certificate of registration of copyright and the entries made therein serve as prima facie evidence in a court of law with reference to dispute relating to ownership or infringement and any other dispute arising on copyrighted content.
Why choose us?
We have a team of Legal professionals to guide about Copyright registration, they are experts of the industry, have filed so many copyright applications and represented matters in the registry and courts. The Content is kept confidential and they are capable of rendering all the other required services with most affordable price.
Advantages of having a copyright
- Legal protection: Owner of the copyright is owner of various rights arising from it which helps in protecting misuse or infringement of the work.
- Prima Facie Evidence: Rights under copyright arises when the work is created, but it is hard to prove in the court of law. Having a registration helps in provides a prima facie evidence in case if the litigation arises. The proof is essential to justify anything in the court of law; hence copyright registration is very beneficial for creators.
- Public Record: When the registration of copyright is done, a definite public record is created that helps the original creator to establish his ownership over the said copyright.
- Long term life: A copyright provides a long term rights to the owner, as they are valid for a long period of time, In the case of original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works, the duration of copyright is the lifetime of the author or artist, and 60 years counted from the year following the death of the author. In the case of cinematograph films, sound recordings, photographs, posthumous publications, anonymous and pseudonymous publications, works of Government and works of International organizations are protected for a period of 60 years which is counted from the year following the date of publication.
- Revenue generation: Copyrights can be revenue generator for the owner, in terms of royalty even without selling the copyrighted content.